Tuesday, October 30, 2007


I turned 24 yesterday, and it made me think so much about how I have changed this past year and all the gifts I have been given. This week also marked the halfway point of my time here in Romania, so that was cause for reflection as well. The time between my birthday last year and my move to Romania was marked by building challenging and strong friendships in the community around me. This was so valuable because it not only ensured friends that would continue to pray for and write to me, but also honed my skills in human interaction- I became a whole lot better at being a friend.
Then I moved to Lupeni Romania, and so much has changed in me in the past six months. I have grown to love this place and love these people even more. Last night, I sat in D&J’s apartment, sipping mulled wine and savoring the spicy sweet taste of Janelle’s magical carrot cake and looked around at the different people. College students from the flatland, a young family dedicated to Romania, and a young couple who invites me into their own little family at all times…and I thought to myself, this IS the abundant life Christ talks about. We go through each increasing grey day here, and add color to each other and hopefully to society. This place is hard, frustrating, and every effort is an uphill battle, but looking around that warm soviet bloc apartment showed me that thias battle is a blessing.
I returned home and looked over my few beaufiful unexpected gifts- a carrot cake all for myself and a watercolor to remind me of hope in the unseen, and a fingerpaint from Briana. These gifts show me how well these friends here know me, and desire to bless me with the very litle that we have. Then in bed i read a couple cards that were sent mysteriously through Brandi and thought of my friends back home, and I was overcome. My cup overfloweth. Thank you for walking and fighting up this hill next to me, even if you are reading this from Lupeni, Newton, Gordon, SVOTS, Newburyport, Beverly, Manchester, Haverhill, Cairo, Mankato, or anywhere you are.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

belated Happy Birthday!

Ryan said...

also, this is totally unrelated to your blog. But it sounds like you know more about josh parks than I do. A beautiful portuguese girl eh? Way to be Josh. I need to find a way to discover where he is hiding himself.