Sunday, July 15, 2007


I have finished my first week of Viata Camp! The first day was one of my hardest days in Romania. It was more frustrating than I could even have imagined. Being a leader semmed impossible to me with the language barrier, and it was so frustrating to be doing just what I’ve done for years- group games and ice breakers; but not really understand anything that’s going on because you don’t know what anyone is saying. One curious and terribly humbling thing about being someplace where you don’t speak the language well is that you seem REALLY stupid. And many people treat you as if you are. (PLEASE remember this next time you encounter an English Language Learner anywhere) I spent the entire day fighting tears.
The days to come improved greatly. I found it was easier to get become friends with (on some level) my kids- almost all orphans or street kids from a nearby shelter, than I originally felt. You can communicate a lot through rudimentary language and gestures, and really all my kids wanted most of the time was a listening ear, even if it was an un-understanding one.
What made the week really good was once we began the ropes course activities. It was so great to be doing something familiar and know what I was doing. It was great just to feel the rope in my hands, and as usual the forest had a soothing effect on my discouraged heart. I learned a whole lot more Romanian that week and find I understand more sentences now. I also had some really great times- teaching the entire camp how to make smores with gestures, a translator and imported marshmallows; dancing around the campfire singing words I don’t know and dancing at the disco.
Although my homesickness has waned only a little, I have found comfort and empathy in two significant books lately. The Hobbit was a gift to me from a friend, since Bilbo began his adventure rather reluctantly. This friend knew I had associate with that, but I hadn’t realized until reading on this week that Bilbo was not just reluctant at the beginning. He continued on during the entire adventure reluctantly, always dreaming of his hobbit hole, and meeting the challenges with only the necessary amount of courage. I feel much the same. I still dream of my home, but am certain that here is where my adventure lies for now, and I will take courage to face only today. The Psalms, also have meant more to me here than any other time in my life. I now understand better the way I which David can jump between sorrow and joy so quickly, as Romania is full of joy interlaced with pain and vice versa.
This weekend has been a reunion of sorts with Katie Daniel and Janelle, since it is the first time all four of the North American volunteers have been together in a month. That has made things seem a little brighter, and I have found that even drab Lupeni has felt a little more like home in the past few days.

No comments: