Saturday, May 05, 2007

I have been in Lupeni for over a week, and am settling into the job and the apartment. It is strange to have a roommate again, after 3 years of having my own room. Katie and I seem quite similar though, and it is nice to have someone to talk to at the end of the day. It is cool to see the lessons God was teaching me in preparation for this time. Learning to have few specific expectations and to focus on others instead of worrying about whether or not people like me has helped my attitude immensely in this new place. I am still warming up to the people and place, but I feel hopeful and expectant.
Work is still vague. I have been reading a lot about social capital, experiential education, and the integration of the Orthodox Church with all of it. The way New Horizons has done all of this is so beautiful and revolutionary. I am eager to learn more from Dana, and in a way this time will serve as a study program of my own. I am observing the IMPACT clubs, but the language barrier is a complication. I am also helping around the office. My bigger job right now is to help Dana and the other Americanis fine tune the Northwestern semester that begins in August.
I am excited for the summer for so many reasons. I have missed the goofiness of a summer camp and am eager to see how Viata incorporates adventure and also to see how the orphanage children are blessed by this ministry. It will be nice to be doing something familiar in an unfamiliar place. Viata is also sure to improve my Romanian, which is frustrating and slow going.
We have leisure time in the evenings and the Americanis are already forming a close knit community. Dana and Brandi are very intentional about making us feel looked-out-for, and Briana (their 2 year old daughter) has already named me Dabba. We watch lots of movies, often accompanied by pizza and beer- go figure. We talk about places we would like to see while we are here- Greece, Turkey, Italy and others. I am glad to have possible travel companions and if anyone is reading this from Europe, let me know and I’ll add you to our list of destinations.
I will close with a story. Back when I was at Gordon I had a coping mechanism that, albeit prohibited, helped me to keep the big picture in mind. Whenever friends or classes or practicum seemed to close in on me, I would climb to the roof of one of the buildings, Frost or Macdonald, and sit there watching the stars. It’s cool to remember how very small Gordon is and, there are, as a favorite band sang: “So many cities and windows and lives And through each one there's a soul that strives to survive “ So one day this week I was feeling a little in over my head and went for a walk up this dirt road up a winding hill behind my building. I walked probably a half mile and then turned around, surprised to realize that in that short distance, the perspective completely changed. The town of Lupeni consists of one main road, and when you get higher, that road disappears in between the mountains. It was like suddenly I was whisked outside of the dirty concrete jungle the communists created and plopped down in God’s glory. Incredible. It is good to be reminded that the One who made all that is still with me, and cares for Lupeni and for me. Amen.

No comments: